AMES - Ambur Muslim Educational Society  Logo
Ambur Muslim Educational Society Logo-2
 
History Of AMES Ambur Muslim Educational Society
SpacerAmbur Muslim Educational Society
AMEX -Women Education
line
line
separator
line
line
Practice
line
line
line
line
line
practice

Left Bottom

topbar

DEVELOPMENT OF AMBUR MUSLIM EDUCATIONAL SOCIETY

The year 1917 marks another landmark in the history of the school.  In order to inspire confidence in the committee and secure its stability its members proposed tore-constitute the committee into the “THE MUHAMMADAN EDUCATION SOCIETY’ which name it still bears except for a slight change viz., instead of “Muhammadan” it is now called “Muslim”.  It had the following aims and objects :

a. To encourage and improve the secular and religious education, specially of the Muslim youths of Ambur.

b. To undertake and perform all such acts as may tend to accomplish the above objects and

c. To property conduct and gradually raise the status of the school known as the “Madrasa-e-Mazharul Uloom” already established n Ambur.

Rules and regulations of the Society were drawn up and submitted for registration under the Society’s Registration Act 1860.  The Society was registered on 4th April 1917.  Funds for constructing pucca building were promised by philanthropists.  Plans were drawn up and construction of the ground floor of the building was begun.  Class VI was inaugurated. 

As months rolled into years an imposing and elegant building on an extensive site was constructed with the contributions generously made by the well-wishers of the institution.  Janab MinnurMohamed Kasim sahib played an important role in supervising the construction of the building.  The completion of the building was the result of strenuous efforts and unflinching support extended by the merchants and the public alike.  Class VII was opened.  The application for a building grant was submitted.  A representative meeting was convened and a seven-point programme was drawn up for augmenting the general revenue of the Society.  There was hearty response from the business magnates of the town to the appeal put forward in this meeting.

In 1921 Janab K. Abdul Salam Sahib and Patel Abdul Latheef sahib were elected as General Secretary and Joint Secretary respectively.  Both of them rendered continued and long service for the development of the school.

The building was completed and the school began its work in the new building.  New and additional teachers were recruited with fair scales of pay which resulted in the rise of expenditure.  Large donations were collected from people during this year.

The Khilafath movement intervened in 1922 and progress was delayed.  Government grant was not received but the Khilafath committee gave a donation of Rs. 1000.  Two buildings were also purchased during this period.

HIGER ELEMENTARYSCHOOL

During the following five years the efficiency of the school progressed.  Inspector of Schools in his Inspection Report observed :

“The condition of the school is very encouraging and satisfactory.  There is however more scope for improvement.  The Headmastgr Mr. Ramaswamy Iyer and his assistants Janab Karim Khan sagir, Janab Azeezuddin sahib Roohi and Sri P.S. Rajagopala Iyer are the life and soul of the school”.

One shop was purchased with available money during this year.

Shri T.S. Ramaswami Iyer was the founder Headmaster of the school from 1907 to 1923.  He was kind, affectionate and loving.  He was pupil friendly.  It is reported by his students that he used to sit on the table while teaching.  He was known for his punctuality, dedication and his erudition and scholarship.  People of  Ambur used to admire his knack of assessing the age of the pupils at the time of their admission.  His contribution to the establishment and development of the school deserves special mention.  He was affectionately called “Peria Sir”.  From III was opened and now the school became a full fledged higher elementary school. 

HIGH SCHOOL

It continued as a Higher Elementary School till 17 October 1925.  Then a portion of it, Classes 1 to 3, were retained as an aided Elementary School and Classes 4 and 5 with Forms 1 to III were converted into Secondary School.  Finances were required for meeting additional expenses towards provision of furniture, library, laboratory and growing expenditure on staff.  Prominent firms and citizens spontaneously extended their generous financial support.  A shop was purchased.

Application for opening Form IV was submitted on 19March 1926 and the same was turned down by the authorities as “pre-mature”.  Mr. R. G. Grieve, then Director of Public Instruction, visited Ambur and took interest in raising the institution.  The  Management renewed the application on 7 April 1926.  The Acting District Educational Officer, North Arcot, Khan Bahadur Abdul Rahim sahib was kind enough to recommend strongly the raising of the school to the secondary standard and according necessary permission for opening From IV.  It marked another milestone in the school’s progress.  Now the school began its further development.  The staff was adequate and suitable.  The Management declared the institution a free school with a view to induce the youth - rich and poor - to  fully avail themselves of secondary education.  Special attention was given to religious and moral instruction – both in faith and practice.  Parents and pupils were generally pleased with the instruction.  The first inspection of the secondary school was conducted by the District Educational Officer, Vellore on 17 and 18 of October 1926 and he made the following observations :

“There is quite a number of Musalman centres in the District requiring distinct Muhammadan Secondary Schools and until lately there existed only two schools in the district viz., those at Vaniyambadi and Vellore.  The Mazharul Uloom Committee has just solved along standing need in a third centre.  The age of this Madrasa hardly exceed a year but its growth has been fairly rapid.  It has a building of its own though eventually the Management has to raise an additional block.  It also owns a satisfactory endowment.  The efficiency of the teaching staff on the whole is fair.”

During 1926 further two shops were purchased.  The Management gave additional incentives by providing free books etc. to poor pupils.

Form V was inaugurated in 1927.  The school was equipped with fully trained teaching staff as required by the code. The enthusiasm with which the Management converted the school into a secondary school was sustaining and fresh sources were tapped for enlarging the fund and for meeting the new needs of the growing school.  A shop was bought during this year.  In 1928 Form VI was opened.  There had been a fair expenditure on science apparatus, materials and other equipments for teaching and books for library.  The supply of text books and note books to the poor boys had become a recurring expenditure.  The rise in the strength of students during the year showed a very healthy sign.  It was obvious that parents were realizing the value of secondary education.  There were 102 pupils on the rolls in the High School. Government introduced fee regulation and calculation of grant on the standard rate of the free income during this year.  The Management however continued free education fearing that if the free regulations were enforced practically pupils would discontinue their studies.  To provide accommodation for the increased strength the Management began constructing two halls adjoining the school building.

Back to Genesis Of AMES Genesis Of AMES
Nawab C Abdul Hakim More
line
line
line
line
line
line
practice-R
line
line
line
line
line
practiceR

 

RightBottom

Home
All Rights Reserved © Designed & Developed by : Shaadmaani Networks - AmburNet.Com